Saturday, July 15, 2006

When God Winks--reposted

Sometimes, when distance is too great for the spoken word, a look in the eye can say more than you would think.

When I see my kids behaving exceptionally well or perhaps showing kindness to another child, if they happen to look my way our eyes will lock - even if it's momentarily - and I give them a wink, or a knowing look, or an approving smile. It's a parent's way of saying so much by saying so little.

Across a table or a crowded room, sometimes Jeff and I will catch each other's gaze. One look immediately tells the other what we're thinking:

"Did you just hear what I heard??"
"Remember when....."
"I love you"
"I still pick you"

We don't hear the audible voice of Jesus; but He is our ever-present Father.

Sometimes, don't you "see" the wink He sends your way throughout your days?

I was finishing up mowing the lawn today and I felt a couple of big raindrops. It was getting quite dark and windy.
"Jesus, could You just hold it off so I can finish this? I'm hurrying, and You know how I hate to leave a job undone."
I mowed a few more strips. A few more raindrops.
"Ooooh....Jesus, I'm almost done....just a few minutes more??"

I finished the yard, pulled the tractor into the garage, walked out, and as I fastened the door shut it ALL broke loose outside.

I didn't mind at all. In fact, I laughed right out loud. I looked up in the rain, "Thank You; I got it done!"

I feel the same way when I get a close parking space, or just something unexpectedly nice happens.

Silly?

Maybe you'd think so.
But I don't think that way at all.

I just saw God wink.
And I like it.

No comments: