Friday, December 23, 2005

Previous thoughts about Tornado Watch/Warning

A little while ago the tornado sirens went off and we had to try to console 2 hysterical boys by watching basketball. This is not easy to accomplish, because they are now old enough to read the right-hand corner of the TV which clearly reads (in red, of course) "Tornado Watch" and "Tornado Warning".
At this point I have to again ask myself what the difference between Watch and Warning is. I am not the only one who wonders this, because the weatherman always has to clarify it, usually showing a graphic of some sort. Maybe it's just me, but if it's so confusing, why don't they just come up with new words? I mean, we Americans have NEVER been able to figure out that ridiculous metric system. So, we just stick with our very own units of measure that apparently only we Americans use. Maybe they should use "Stay In Your Basement" and "Your Neighbor's House Is Now In Oz". I have no trouble differentiating the two. I don't need a graphic or explanation for that. If they would just switch to those very understandable phrases, the weathermen wouldn't need to keep explaining Watch and Warning. Just think of the on-air time that would save. There would be much more time to show previous clips of death and destruction-inducing tornadoes during a break-away segment of the basketball game...which two, hysterical boys are watching to console themselves.

I am somewhat optimistic about the idea of very fast, circular winds which, well, which....suck. I'm no scientist (see above explanation for Watch and Warning), but if we did leave all the windows and doors open wouldn't it just be logical that my need to pick up around the house would be drastically reduced?? See? There is a silver lining on every cloud.

SOME people would be upset about all that bad weather and such. They're just those "the-glass-is-half-empty" type of people. I happen to be one of those "my-half-empty-glass-won't-need-to-washed-in-about-15-minutes" type of people. It's just all in how you look at it.
Well, I have to go now. Jeff says there's a clip of a tornado from a couple weeks ago on TV. I haven't seen this one yet, but I'm sure there's a lot of mobile homes strewn across Kansas. At this point, I have to ask myself why mobile homes are even allowed in Kansas? I mean, come on, we've ALL seen the movie.....

No comments: